Sunday, July 24, 2011

What is privacy in social networks?

We already have discussed the Google+ emphasis of the privacy, as the main advantage of the latest Google's social network over facebook.
Today I've got a little bit confused: Google has deleted number of Google+ account, claiming the violation of their real name policy. Does the concept of privacy include our names? What are the boundaries of privacy?



The definition of the privacy

When I'm not sure about some term, I use to get help from a dictionary. Here is the definition of the privacy from the Mirriam-Webster Dictionary: the quality or state of being apart from company or observation.

It seems that my name has the right to be apart from the observation. Does it mean that I can expose a fake name?

The essence of the privacy

People come to social networks so socialize. It is a virtual, but in some cases it turns to the real life friendships. Fake names don't help here. So, why's everybody so worry about the real names policy?

Let's discuss two examples, a bad one and a good one.

If I'm planning a fraud, certainly I'll keep my real name out of the reach. No real name policy will convince me to do otherwise. Delete my account, I'll open other one. I'm a criminal. I'm not ignoring the unfortunate situations caused by false identification, but the social network platforms must find another, more sophisticated way to cope with it.

Another, more positive example. I'm hip-hop fan and Daniel Fogel is probably one of the most not suitable names for this world. So, I want to be loved by my hip-hop friends, I want to be, for example, Dan the Scum. Google answers that I can't socialize What's fun about it?
 The essence of social networks is in the choice we have. We can introduce ourselves however it suits us and we can be a part of any social group we want. We need an identity to represent us. Let us choose what identity it will be, according to our goals. Most of us, anyway, use a real name. Fight the fraud, no problem, but don't hurt us, we came here to get some virtual fun. Virtual is an alternative to the real world. Why insist on the real names?

There is a problem

To be honest, there is a larger problem than the real names issue. The information we're supplying is essential to the social networks for making money. Fake profiles are considered as a junk in their databases. It may make a damage to the income. No ideology, it is business matter. Cooperate or find another, ideology driven, platform, willing to invest an effort and the money in your virtual freedom, in exchange for nothing. 

Somehow, we're ignoring the fact that powerful companies with billions of dollars of income are those who give us a sense of privacy and freedom. Can we really trust them?

Before you go

Please allow me to promote my company's facebook application that deals with profiles and names:
"Do You Know Your Friends" is a kind of trivia, you're asked to match your friends names to their profile pictures. It takes 2 minutes, it's fun and it may cause you to reconsider your attitude to the facebook friendships. Thank you in advance for using it, I made for you.


Mentioned:

Google Plus Deleting Accounts En Masse: No Clear Answers

Mirrian Webster definition of privacy
Facebook application "Do You Know Your Friends"

No comments:

Post a Comment